I've always loved clothes. I love watching how others wear clothes and love putting outfits together. I love talking with friends about what they should wear or purchase. It is fun for me, but I haven't always had a huge wardrobe.
For years, we lived on a really tight budget. We didn't have any wiggle room for nice clothes and awesome shoes. Our only income was a small and irregular ministry salary. We barely had enough money to pay our mortgage and buy food. We spent years struggling to survive financially.
Not to mention, I had 3 kids in 5 years. My body was never the same size from year to year. This made buying clothes even MORE frustrating. Trying to find clothes that fit and flattered this new body of mine took time.
I have a little more wiggle room in our budget these days. I am able to purchase nicer clothes that fit well and are higher quality. But the way I think about clothes has changed. I don't want to buy things I'll never wear. I want to be a good steward of the income we make. I don't want to waste money on things that just sit in my closet. I want to buy a few quality pieces that fit me well and I can wear over and over again.
I've created this 25 piece summer wardrobe. Having a small, quality wardrobe is a perfect for me. Everything in this wardrobe can mix and match. I can wear one piece in many different ways. Most of these pieces you can buy at many different prices. I've included links to match any budget.
Want to see what I'm wearing this summer?
Three v-neck tees in black, grey, and black striped. We love these Target tees. Gap has a great mid-price options. Madewell tees are the softest shirts I've ever felt. If you can splurge, buy those!
This grey tank from Old Navy is forgiving and cool. I have one in black too.
A gingham shirt. I bought mine years ago, but this one is really cute.
- Utility Jacket. This utility jacket from Old Navy. It is comfortable and stylish. If you want a pricer option, this one is similar.
- Black Vegan Leather Jacket. A light leather jacket is perfect for warmer temps. Target has some great options, but I recently splurged and bought this one.
- Denim Jacket. I've had mine for years. Old Navy also has some budget-friendly options.
- Fit and Flare Dress. This striped fit and flare from Target is my favorite. It is cool and comfortable.
- Shirtdress. I recently purchased this one. It is flattering and great for hot humid days.
- Cotton Dress. I love a basic cotton dress for the summer especially when the humidity is high. This dress is flattering and functional. Gap has some mid-priced options. Target has similar dresses for around $30.
Boyfriend Jean shorts. I have 2 pairs in 2 different washes. I've had mine for years. I have the 5" pair and love them! Gap has some great options and Target has these shorts too!
Cotton pencil skirt. I have one from TJ Maxx. You can dress this up or wear it with tennis shoes. It is breathable and great in the summer heat.
Jeans. I have these ripped boyfriend jeans from Madewell and cropped pair from the Gap.
If you have a little extra money, I recommend spending money on quality pants first. A good pair of pants that fit your body well, does wonders for the soul! Trust me! My favorite splurge right now is Madewell jeans. They fit well and last a long time.
- Fake Birks. I wanted Birkenstock sandals, but don't have the budget right now so I opted for these. I love them. For $30, it is a win!
- Flat Brown Sandals. I own this pair, but Target has a similar options for under $20.
- Grey Converse Tennis Shoes. Love these shoes. I wear them each season.
- Straw Wedge (similar).
- Black high-heeled wedge (similar)
I don't want to have a closet FULL of clothes I never wear. I run a business, have 3 kids, and a husband in full-time ministry. Our life is full. Decision fatigue is a problem for me. If I have to spend too much time making a decision on something, I quit and move on.
A small capsule wardrobe is perfect for me. I want things to fit well, be in style, and on-budget. A capsule wardrobe does all those things for me and more.
What are some of your favorite pieces to wear in the summer? Tell us about it!